Sunday, September 03, 2006

A Good Sunday

We had a really good day today! We had three visitors at church today, and all our regulars were there. One of our visitors was a Chinese exchange student. She's 16 years old, and here in Canada to finish high school and then go on to college. She was very sweet, and we got to know her a little bit and learn a bit about her country and family. Her English is very good, but she still struggles a bit with knowing exactly the right words (I do that, and English is my native language!). I'm hoping to get her to come to some of our teen things, and maybe one day we'll see her adopted into the family! :) Our other visitors were neighbors to one of our regular families. We've met them before, so it was good to see them come to church.

Tomorrow is Labour Day here in Canada, just as in the US, so our rec centre closed early today. They close at 3 p.m. on Sundays of long holiday weekends. So that leaves us without a place to meet on those Sundays, and most months have at least one holiday weekend in them here. So tonight we went to Greater Vancouver Baptist Church, the church that sponsored us into Canada. We always enjoy going over there; those folks really took us into their hearts when we moved up here! The greatest thing for me was to be able to sit down and just be there. I enjoyed the music, the fellowship, and the preaching. In just over two weeks, they are hosting the Canadian Independent Baptist Pastors' Conference, and I can't wait! It'll be two days of preaching, singing, and fellowship with pastors from all over the nation. I intend to get my tank filled up those two days!

This week promises to be busy, with school starting on Tuesday. We'll be up in the air for a few days, trying to get back in the swing of things, and then we should settle back into a regular rhythm once again. I love the beginning of school! What am I going to do in five years when I have no more students?

I am once again re-evaluating my time online. I don't plan to totally leave blogging - either reading or writing - but over the summer I have lapsed back into being online more. I had about conquered that this past spring! I have a long list of blogs that I read, and I'm going to have to go through and do some pruning again. I find so many that I love, that it's' hard to decide which I'll continue to read and which I'll have to leave. Pastor Conner said something tonight that sealed my decision for some of the things I read. He was preaching from II Timothy 2, where Paul is warning Timothy to "strive not about words to no profit, but to the subverting of the hearers" (verse 14), and to "shun profane and vain babblings" (verse 16). Now, I hesitate to call anything that anyone writes from their heart as "words to no profit" or "vain babblings," but when the words are not profitable to me and my life, I should re-evaluate their place in my life and not spend my time in vain reading those things. There are things I love to read because they're fun or witty or pretty, but are they profitable for me to be reading? Do they profit me spiritually? Do they profit me in my attempts to be a wise wife, or godly mother, or diligent homemaker? Do they help to build some area of my life? Are the words that I write valuable, or are they just babblings? The Lord spoke to me clearly tonight, and I must look some things over and make some changes. I'm having trouble balancing some things - remember I'm a fairly new pastor's wife, less than 2 years, and learning as I go how to balance my responsibilities. And don't we all need to reevlauate occasionally to make sure we're still keeping our priorities straight? My desire is to please the Lord! So we'll see what happens. I think I just need to do some pruning is all.

I hope you all have a great week, whatever you're doing!

6 comments:

  1. This post shines alot of wisdom from your heart Susan! Many have faced the same questions, re: blogging/time spent reading others' posts. Very important to address, and using your own struggle/desires with it makes the point come across beautifully. My youngest (autistic) begins school tomorrow. I have much (due to how much time physically and emotionally he requires when home) to get caught up on myself!! I'm here EARLY MORNINGS...and that shouLd be enough...maybe with a 'pop-in' for 20 min. or so in LATE afternoon. That is my quest, anyway. God bless you. God bless that exchange student! Happy Labour Day~smile~

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you had a great Sunday. I'm happy you had a visitor. I hope she continues to come!

    I have been visiting fewer blogs these days as well. There are so many wonderful blogs out there to read, but I've pared it down to 41 on my bloglines. One of those is the bloglines blog itself (which is automatic when you start a bloglines account, and only has alerts on it) and a few are blogs of friends/family who only update occasionally. I've spent way less time online since I've cut out the number of blogs I read. Because really, even good things can become bad things if you spend too much time on them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you had a blessed Sunday! We were missing a lot of our regulars at church who went out of town for the weekend.

    Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no idea that you had only been a pastor's wife for two years. Wow. You hit the road running, didn't you? :) It really seems to me that God called you to that as surely as he called Wes to preaching.

    It's so neat that your son started a business. How smart is that?!? Very cool.

    Whatever you decide to do, I feel certain you will make the right decision. I think you are a real stand-up woman and I admire you tons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan, that was really food for thought. I like your blog because I think you are witty :) but I have been spending less time online. I like the verses you gave. I read in Prov 31:27 She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness. So I too will have to seek the Lord about this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found something that helped me with being able to read blogging. One of the other bloggers I read posted about Feedblitz (www.feedblitz.com). What a blessing to find out about it because it allows me to get the new posts from all the blogs I read into my e-mail & read them from the e-mails. No more having to check out a bunch of blogs. I only have to go to the blogs if I want to post a comment or read the other comments (which I do lol). It's been a big help to me & hopefully will ne to others. I still spend forever online cuz I'm having to check out my friend Arlos message boardsd & a few othersw every day & I belong to a ton of YAHOO & MSN groups plus run my own YAHOO group on the 70's cop tv show Starsk & Hutch & then theirs e-mail. I have to speed read alot of stuff lol.

    That's good your church got some enw visitors. We had some new folks in church Sun which was nice... :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin