Saturday, July 15, 2006

Visitation Today

To give you an idea of the diversity of religion around here, I thought I'd tell you about some of the people whose doors we knocked on today.

I took one of our ladies with me, and we knocked at houses on one block and another short block. We met a delightful elderly Presbyterian lady, a lady who was saved years ago in a Baptist church who now goes to a non-denominational church, and a young woman walking down the street that I stopped and handed a tract to. She immediately said, "I am not Christian." Notice she didn't say "a Christian" - she said "Christian." Here, Christianity is just another of the world's religions! Someone might be Christian, Muslim, Buddhist, Pagan, or Atheist, depending on who or what they claim as their god, and any religion claiming Jesus Christ as its God is Christian. This is what we find every day! Anyway, this young lady happens to work teaching pottery classes in our rec centre! What a nice "coincidence!" ;) She works on the weekend, but seemed a bit interested in coming to our Thursday night Bible study. I'm praying that a seed will be sown in her heart, and she will just have to come and see what our Bible study is about! Her name is Vis, pronounced Veez.

Near the end of our block, we knocked on the door of a couple of Jehovah's Witness. I do not dislike people who are JW's; however, I do dislike their beliefs and their practices. As soon as I identified myself as a Baptist, the lady who answered the door let me know she was JW. That was fine with me - we were going to excuse ourselves and move on. Neither of us would change the other's mind by standing at the door arguing about anything, but this lady would not let me leave. One thing was interesting: they don't agree on which Bible to use. One of them said I needed to quit reading the KJV; the other said she uses the KJV. They were fine with my using the KJV, though, until they quoted John 1:1 as proof that Jesus was with God from the beginning, but He wasn't God. I guess they forgot the rest of that verse, because I said, "Exactly. The Word was with God and the Word was God." That's when they had to back up and tell me to use another version of the Bible to learn that Jesus is not God. This is one reason it is so important to know which Bible is the Word of God! You have to have an absolute Standard on which to base your beliefs! When all was said and done, they left me no choice than to walk away as they yelled at me from their front door. If you knew me personally, you would know that it is very much out of character for me to walk away from someone who is talking to me. But honestly, I was forced to just walk away.

While Hayley and I were having this adventure, Wes and Andrew were speaking with a Jewish man. He was a very gracious man, and as Wes was turning to leave, he asked the man if he had family in Israel. His wife does, and he said it was a very scary time for his wife's family. We need to pray for the Israeli people!

Samuel and Beth went together, and they talked to an elderly Muslim lady. She very quietly but staunchly said to them that Allah and Jesus are the same. Then they talked to a man who was very friendly, but when they invited him to church, he said, "I am Muslim." Samuel assured him that he would be welcome to come anyway. They also talked to a person who was so relieved that they weren't Mormon or JW, that he was willing to listen to them! So you can see that we have a wide variety of people and beliefs here. And we found a litle of all of them today! At least we found people at home!

9 comments:

  1. We have a friend that pastors a church in Canada, and he has told us that it is a very difficult country to reach. Praise the Lord that you were out visiting today! I will pray that the seeds you planted will take root and that some of those folks will visit your church soon.

    Blessings,
    Mrs. C

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must have to be very brushed up on what you believe before going out! That has to be quite the experience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mrs. C, what your friend has told you is what we are experiencing here. The amazing thing to me is that we have yet to see anyone come to church whose door we have knocked on and talked to personally. All of our visitors thus far have been through literature distribution, either through the mail or by putting flyers on doors. We've also found that when we are faithful to go door-to-door, we usually have visitors from other methods. I think God honors His Word being sown when we are faithful to obey Him and go. Canada (and the US!) needs prayer (and missionaries!)just as much as the third world countries!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "This is one reason it is so important to know which Bible is the Word of God! You have to have an absolute Standard on which to base your beliefs!"

    Oh Susan, this quote is so true!

    I loved your post....and have experienced the same things.

    A few years back when our church wasn't seeing much fruit or results from our door-to-door my husband said that maybe God had us out there doing it so that the people would be without excuse when they stood before the Lord.

    And I agree, arguing with JW's rarely does much good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You really did meet pretty much every religion today, huh? And I'm with Sarah Joy...you must have to know what you believe. I'll be posting in the near future on why I believe in eternal security. It's unfortunately an issue on hubby's side of the fam. I was told it must be nice to be living under an umbrella. I said, "Yep, it is! Why don't you join me instead of getting all wet!" :) Anyway, we SHOULD know why we believe what we believe and why we read the KJV. I'm hoping our pastor is going to continue this week on his third part of his series. Well, I'm posting on your comments, aren't I? I just can't quit! Tell me to hush, Susan............Oh dear. I'm outta here.
    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like the San Jose/Santa Clara Area! When we lived in that area, our Saturdays sounded much like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Susan,

    I really enjoyed that. I love door-knocking! I almost felt like I was visiting those doors along with you.

    Not too long ago I was sitting in the park watching my kids and some others playing when two young JW ladies came up to me. Whoa, that was wierd, I was on the receciving end of a presentation. Sadly they left after I let them know that I thought that they were the false prophets the Bible talks about it the end times.

    I have always heard that Canada is very hard and the people have almost a European mentality.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for your courage to go door to door.

    Every Jehovah's Witness member will grow old and die just like everyone else.

    There is no Armageddon that will annihilate 6.5 billion people,and install Watchtower leaders as world rulers.

    The core dogma of the Watchtower organization is that Jesus had his second coming 'invisibly' in the year 1914.Their entire doctrinal superstructure is built on this falsehood.

    Jehovah's Witnesses door to door recruitment is by their own admission an ineffective tactic. They have lost membership in all countries with major Internet access because their false doctrines and harmful practices are exposed on the modern information superhighway.

    There is good and valid reasons why there is such an outrage against the Watchtower for misleading millions of followers.Many have invested everything in the 'imminent' apocalyptic promises of the Jehovah's Witnesses and have died broken and beaten.

    Now if you wanted to know about the quality of a product,would you listen to the seller's pitch or a former longtime customer?
    ---
    Respectfully,Danny Haszard http://www.freeminds.org (consumer report on the Watchtower organization)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you had some good visits. I'm like you with the JW's. Its so sad to see them so dedicated to their "religion" and be so lost. I've talked with a couple of JW's before and after a 10 minute conversation they found that I knew my Bible and said they would come back another day to talk again...I told them I'd look forward to it. Guess what...they never came back. I honestly believe that they "mark" the homes of those that have people who know their doctrine and are strong in it. Its those that are weak in doctrine and what they believe that are susceptible to their devices and conversion to their beliefs.

    I also agree that we need to pray for the nation of Israel. When I heard the other day that they and Lebanon were bombing each other the first thing I thought is "Oh Lord Jesus...you really are on the threshold and about to step out!!" I can't wait. But we do need to pray for them. I don't know about you...but I'm excited!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin