Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Learned Something New

Yesterday I learned something new about hibiscus (and other plants too). Almost from the time I bought my hibiscus, I've noticed ants on it. They didn't seem to be hurting it, so I didn't think too much about it other than they were a nuisance. About 3 days ago, though, I noticed that the branches were coated with these tiny little black bugs, and the ants were crawling all over them! So yesterday I sat down at my computer and did some research. Turns out that the little black bugs were aphids, and the ants were feasting on the excretions of the aphids. I also learned that where you have ants, you probably have aphids; get rid of the aphids, get rid of the ants. The remedy was to mix up a solution of liquid soap and water, spray them in the evening and let it sit all night, then blast the aphids off the plant with a water hose in the morning. My hibiscus is now aphid-free, as far as I can tell. It has a couple of buds about to open, and then I'll know what color they are. They are definitely not red; they look to be white or yellow.

I'm writing in the morning for the next few days, because I think I'm going to be pretty busy in the evenings till we go to camp. I always read blogs in the mornings, so I figured I might as well get it all out of the way then, so I can focus on "real" life! LOL I'm off to cook, clean, grocery shop, and sew!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing that, Susan.
    I have two hibiscus and have never really noticed ants or aphids. Now, on my sunflowers last year it was a different story--lots of ants! Of course, this year, the deer took care of the sunflowers first...so no ants! Is that a praise or a complaint! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, my kids have the cutest story book about ants and it tells all about them milking the aphids. But it didn't tell about the liquid soap mixture. That's interesting. I'll have to keep that in mind. Thanks for sharing your new tip.

    ~Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you learned something new. I hate anphids, I just don't like the little buggers!!! ;0)

    Your hibiscus is going to be lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin