Tuesday, July 04, 2006

It Still Does It

The Star Spangled Banner still brings tears to my eyes. If I live in Canada for 50 years, I think it will still happen. We're watching the end of the Macy's fireworks display. What I thought was the grand finale, with the National Anthem, was beautiful, the fireworks choreographed with the music, people singing with hands over their hearts, older people simply standing with their hands over their hearts. It touched my heart as I remembered all the years we lived in the US and sang that anthem ourselves. Then they had the finale . . . Liza Minelli singing New York, New York. Not exacting thrilling to me. But it was in New York, so I guess they thought that was appropriate. It was nice to hear the National Anthem again, anyway!

5 comments:

  1. The Star Spangled Banner probably means more to those of us that live outside of the United States. Whenever we travel back to the States it just feels so different. We too, love hearing the Star Spangled Banner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way Susan....our country isn't perfect but there's nowhere else I'd rather live.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I was just a sap because it always makes me cry! While we watched the fireworks, I asked my girls if they knew that we did that in commemoration of "the rockets red glare, the bombs bursting in air."

    Actually, I homeschooled my girls and they did know that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always choke up too when we sing patriotic songs like the Star Spangled Banner.

    Our home church always says the Pledge of Allegiance on Sunday nights and sings patriotic hymns. I love it because patriotism is a dying love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love love love the Star Spangled Banner! I love to hear it, I love to sing it. And I am opposed to anyone who would change it for God bless America.
    Our Anthem tells what we are, or strive to be, Free and Brave.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin