Thursday, July 06, 2006

Interesting Afternoon

This afternoon, just as I was getting ready to fix dinner, our power went out. This is a church night; dinner has to be on time! I waited a couple of minutes to see if it was just a flicker, but when it became obvious that the power wasn't coming right back on, I knew I had to do something. My first thought was ORDER OUT! Yay! But that was not my husband's first thought. Bummer! We talked about this. He suggested bringing out our Coleman stove that we use when we go camping (three times in our life!). I was making manicotti, so that would work for boiling the noodles and cooking the meat. But then it had to bake for 45 minutes. The grill! We have a gas grill, and it has a thermometer on the front! We didn't know how reliable the thermometer was (we do now), but it was our only option at this point.

So Wes set up the Coleman stove on the patio table and lit the burners for me. I boiled water for the noodles, and while that was heating, I cooked up a pan of Italian sausage, ground beef, and garlic. It smelled SO good! LOL Wes expected the neighbors to gather round. Just as the beef got done and the noodles were draining, the power came back on. Wes had already turned on the grill to see how well it would hold the heat. It heated up to 350 degrees and stayed there the whole time the grill was on. So we know we can bake in the grill if we ever need to - I guess that's a good thing to know! ;)

The power stayed on, and the manicotti turned out great. Wes said it was better than Spaghetti Warehouse! Isn't he the sweetest thing? It must have been good, because he ate three pieces of it. The kids all ate plenty too. So Wes and his beloved Coleman stove saved the day. He is just like his mother. She would never have even thought of ordering out if the stove didn't work. She would have thought of the Coleman right away. I may not have thought of it, but I did enjoy cooking on a gas stove again.

8 comments:

  1. We used to have Spaghetti Warehouse in our area but they closed some yrs ago. Your dinner sounds yummy. Think I'll drop by for dinner sometime. ;) We don't have a gas stove or grill or a Coleman so my hubby Mike would've agreed lets eat out lol. Just said a prayer for you & your hubby & family & church & the other bloggers out there... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, I do all sorts of cooking on our grill. Better than heating up the house with the oven! Yesterday I baked a meatloaf. I have done shepherd's pie, pizza, roast beef, a huge turkey! If you can cook it in an oven, you can cook it in the bbq!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I would have thought of the gas grill either. And we don't have a Coleman stove. But I would have thought of eating out :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to improvise for three months when we moved into the house at the church. When the building was a fellowship hall it had a commercial gas stove in it but it burned too much gas and made the monthly gas bill high so the church sold it and we had to pray in another stove. My husband didn't want to put out expense for a new stove. God finally provided a gas stove for us but in the meantime I had to cook on electrical eyelets (bought at Walmart for around $8 and an electric skillet). I had to do my baking in my big roaster oven. It worked pretty good. We baked cakes in it and cooked lasagna in it and all sorts of stuff. Only thing was that it took almost twice as long to bake in it for some reason. But hey...it worked!! I've never had a gas stove before and I have to say that I LOVE it!!! I don't know if I ever want to go back to electric again!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan, it does sound like an interesting afternoon. I'm glad it turned out so good. Sometimes husbands think of things that we normally wouldn't.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow....I would have been thinking 'order out' as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. One Christmas power was out for days. We cooked on top of a kerosene heater. It was interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow..My first thought would to order out..But would have never thought to cook on the colemen those are great..

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin