Friday, June 23, 2006

Youth Activity

Tonight was our church's first time to host an area-wide youth activity. When I say "area-wide", I simply mean other independent Baptist churches in the Vancouver area. There are about 60 teens, on average, at these youth activities, and during the school year, each church represented hosts the activity one month in turn. We finally got our turn tonight, and we had a great time.

The fun activity was five-pin bowling. We had never heard of such a thing till we came here, and the concept has intrigued Wes ever since he first heard of it. From what I understand, the ball is small enough to fit into the palm of your hand, and there are only five pins (shock!). The scoring is different than ten-pin bowling, although I'm not much help there, because I don't understand the scoring anyway. The kids all loved it, and Wes enjoyed it a lot. He is a big guy, with huge hands, so in ten-pin bowling, he uses a 15-pound ball and throws it hard. Well, he took that little bitty ball tonight and chunked it right down the lane. It flew out of his hand and bounced down the lane! LOL Wes likes to tease and say that he didn't realize the Canadians could only afford half the pins and a tiny ball to bowl! ;)

After bowling for a couple of hours, all the kids came up to our rec centre, where we hold our church services, for some Texas Supreme Nachos. We had the works - meat, cheese sauce, sour cream, jalapenos, diced tomatoes, onions, and salsa. Some of the kids had never had these kind of nachos (which many people pronounce with a short 'a' here - natch-o - cracks us up!), and they scarfed them right up. We still have a crock pot full of cheese - anybody care for some nachos? Several of our church people came out to help set up and serve, and even more donated food to help out.

After eating, we had a short time of singing, and then Samuel preached. Usually, one of the adult pastors will preach, but Wes wanted Samuel to preach tonight. He did a great job, even if I do say so myself! ;) He preached on TODAY, from Proverbs 27:1 - Boast not thyself of tomorrow, for thou knowest not what a day may bring forth. TODAY is the day to encourage someone, to have a godly testimony, to make sure of your salvation, and to give your all to Jesus. It was very good! The teens all paid close attention, and I pray that they listened to the Lord speak to their hearts.

Everybody seemed to have a great time. Next month is camp - can't wait for that! We sure do enjoy the fellowship we have here with other like-minded believers!

10 comments:

  1. Sounds like everyone had a "ball." Get it??? :) I coudln't resist that one.

    I'm glad you had a good time.

    ~Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fun activity!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds a great day Susan. I pronounce nachos like that I think. Doh! Didn't know it was wrong. Lol :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad the youth thing went well. Kids everywhere love to play!

    I loved the "nacho" thing! Here in Chile, "Nacho" is a nickname for Ignacio. We have three Nachos in our kids club.

    R

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kristi, I got your joke right away! LOL

    Michelle, it's good to see you!

    Mrs. Blythe, I'm sorry! LOL We lived in Texas for 14 years, so we heard the Spanish pronunciations all the time. Texas has lots and lots of Mexican immigrants. From what I know of Spanish, the 'a' sound is usually pronounced 'ah', as in 'father'. Also, here in Canada, it seems that if the American pronunciation is 'ah', the Canadian pronunciation will be a short 'a', or vice-versa. It's almost like a culture war! ;) So we get a kick out of discovering different pronunciations for words we grew up saying one way or another. I hope I didn't offend you or anyone else by my 'natch-o' statement - it's just one of those things about living in a country that is different from your native one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like lots of fun. We have that here. That's the only sort of bowling we have. When we first seen it, we were like, thats not bowling! Glad you all have a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can see where people that don't know how to pronounce nacho would not do it right. I've even heard people call tortilla with the "l" sound instead of the "y" sound. That sounds really funny. But they don't know any better. However you pronounce it...they sure do taste good!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds like so much fun! LOL @ your husband!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. it's great meeting you...thanks for your comment...the bowling story is funny...I will stop by again. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun time! I am from Texas and L-O-V-E nachos!

    Oh and like Tammy I actually LOL at what your husband said.

    Thank you for linking to my post. You're very sweet to me Susan! (o:

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin