Monday, June 19, 2006

Just to Catch Up a Bit

First, I have a prayer request. I heard from my dad today that my cousin, Bill Kellett, was scalded badly on Saturday night, and is in the burn unit of the hospital in Augusta, GA. He was at a barbeque and stumbled over a gas hose, which pulled a pot of boiling water off on him. He is burned from his arm to his foot on one side, and will have to have skin grafts done. His mom says he's going to be ok, but it will take some time to heal. I'm sure he's in a lot of pain, too.

Today was a laid back day here. We slept in, then the mail came with a catalog from Christian Book Distributors in it. What better to do than lie in bed and look at the catalog? :) Breakfast was actually brunch. We had some fruit left from the weekend, so I made smoothies for Andrew, Beth, and myself. Well . . . I think I put too much of a variety of fruit in it (including cantaloupe and kiwi!), and it just wasn't very good. We've decided to try again tomorrow, with just strawberries. That should be better. We found a basic rule-of-thumb type recipe for smoothies: 1 part fruit, 1 part liquid, and 2 parts thickener. The liquid can be milk or juice or water, and the thickener should be something like yogurt or frozen fruit or ice. The consistency of ours was fine - but that taste was a bit wonky!

After our brunch, I spent some time studying for Sunday school and Patch Club - very nice to have plenty of time - and then the kids and I straightened the house. Then we tackled our jungle of a back yard. We have a very small back yard, with a raised bed. It's partly shady in the bed, so it's not good for growing veggies. We put some wildflowers in last year, but it wasn't sunny enough; however, it must be plenty sunny for the weeds! ;) There were some giant ones in there!

This evening I went to Canadian Tire to spend my birthday gift card on flowers. I didn't get nearly enough for the bed, but it will spruce it up a bit, and maybe I can get more a little later. I'd love to put some fall flowers in later in the season! I got begonias, impatiens, coleus, and some little daisies (they will be in a sunny spot). I potted one of the impatiens to put on my front porch, as it doesn't get a lot of sun. Beth got some fuschias and a geranium to make a basket, and I got some geraniums and portulaca for my patio containers. I've only planted the patio containers this evening, because it was getting too dark to see. I plan to work in the flower bed tomorrow morning. I will post pictures if you promise not to laugh! LOL I am NOT a gardener, but a girl has to start somewhere, doesn't she?!

8 comments:

  1. You go girl! I'm not a gardener either, but I had so much fun helping to plant flowers at our church the other week. I had so much fun I'd like to do it here at home. Maybe I will.

    :)
    ~Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sis. Susan...you mentioned Bill Kellett....is his wife's name Kim and have sons named Joey and Jacob? I don't recall their daughter's name. We know a Bill Kellett from our home church and wondered if they are the same family. I know they moved to Carrollton but just wondered if we are both referring to the same family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I won't laugh! I won't laugh! Pictures please..pretty please. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. great advice for smoothies is to use soft tofu to thicken and a little honey to sweeten or splenda for you. I am queen of nutritious liquid diets ROFL.
    Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will keep your cousin in a lot of prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sis. Lisa, I'm afraid it's not the same Bill Kellett! My cousin lives in SC and as far as I know, doesn't attend church. Thanks for asking, though!

    Ack! Colleen! Tofu??? Please, please don't make me drink tofu! LOL

    Thank you all for praying for my cousin. I'll try to give a call out there this week to see how he's doing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That should have said "Sis. Julie" instead of Lisa. I'm having trouble keeping people's names straight lately - sorry about that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Susan
    the tofu makes it creamy and smooth like yogurt but is pure healthy protein (no sugars no lactose and no fat), it really is wonderful. I challenge you, I double dog dare you to try it! You will love it.

    Colleen

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin