Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Screeching to a Halt . . .

Just running by to say I'm still here! We are beginning to realize that we leave for Texas in 2 weeks. I still have a couple of displays of Samuel's school years to put together. I'll be getting out our photos tonight to get started on that, along with his various ribbons and trophies and certificates through the years. I saved all these things, thinking it would be SO long till I needed them for his graduation, and now here it is upon us. Amazing!

Wes and I went to Washington for a bit today, and Beth rode with us. The weather is simply beautiful this week, so it was a pleasant drive. I started a new cross stitch project for a wedding, so I worked on that while we rode. I'm using 22-count Hardanger fabric for the first time, and working the design over one square. It's very tiny, but that gives this piece a very delicate look, which is what I was striving for. I'm planning to make it into a pillow; we'll see when it's finished, and I'll show you a picture of it when it's done.

Wes has been preaching through the book of James on Sunday nights, and I really enjoyed the past two weeks' sermons. He was at the end of chapter 3, contrasting worldly wisdom with heavenly wisdom. He taught on one last week, and the other this week. It's basically a word study, which I really enjoy. I wrote the notes in the margin of my Bible so that I can get to them easily and check myself out every now and then to see what kind of wisdom I have.

First, worldly wisdom, from verse 14 - "But if ye have bitter enjying and strife in your hearts, glory not, and lie not against the truth." The symptoms of worldly wisdom are a bitter spirit, a belligerant spirit, a boastful spirit, and a blind spirit. Verse 15 gives the sources of worldly wisdom . . . "This wisdom descendeth not from above, but is eartly, sensual, devilish." Worldly wisdom is secular, physical, and satanic. In verse 16 are the results of worldly wisdom: confusion and ungodliness - "For where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work."

Heavenly wisdom is the opposite of worldly wisdom, of course. Verses 17 and 18 say, "But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace." This lesson was more of a word study:

Pure - free from defilement - Proverbs chapters 1-9 compare pure wisdom and foolishness by personifying them as two women - wisdom and the strange woman.
Peaceable - predisposed to peace - wisdom brings peace Romans 14:19
Gentle - moderation - look out for others' welfare before your own - Philippians 4:5, I Timothy 3:3, Titus 3:2
Easily intreated - approachable - I Corinthians 9:20-22 - witness to people where they are spiritually
Full of mercy - show pity - mercy is not only an attribute of God, it is his very nature - to be like God is to show mercy
Good fruits - benevolent, kind actions - example, David toward Mephibosheth, II Samuel 9
Without partiality - not a respector of persons - already discussed in James 2
Without hypocrisy - no pretense, genuine
Peacemaker - fruit of a peacemaker is peace

13 comments:

  1. Very nice. I like word studies, too. He doesn't happen to tape his sermons, does he? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, I LOVE LOVE LOVE word studies! Thanks so much for posting this, I think I'll print it out.

    Blessings Susan!
    ~Mrs.B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, you can hear the sermons that my husband has taped at our church's website, www.lgbc.bc.ca. He "saves them up" and uploads several at a time, so the most recent ones may not appear for a few weeks yet. You can listen to what's there absolutely free, though! I think he's a great preacher!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Correction: I just went to our church site and there are NO sermons there by my husband right now! He said he hasn't put any up for quite a while. I'm sorry! I'll have to get him to do that soon. He does tape the Sunday morning sermons, and I hope he'll upload them soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, since everyone else has commented on the sermon (which I also like word studies), I'll comment on the cross-stitch. :)

    I wish, wish, wish I could cross-stitch in the car riding along. I would definitely get soooo much done whenever we went anyplace! But I get dizzy and get a headache from the motion. I also can't read a map for my husband when riding; he has to have one of the kids direct him. You are very blessed to be able to read or cross-stitch to make those hours profitable! And yes, we would LOVE to see the pillow when finished. :)

    I know you're looking forward to your TX trip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how neat that they will be available later! Thanks.

    Deb, I can't read or anything in the car either. I doubt I could stitch but I haven't tried. And yes, I second wanting to see the finished product. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Deb, I am indeed blessed that I can read or do just about anything while I'm riding. One thing I can't do, though, is use a laptop computer. I start feeling ick (no, that's not a typo - ICK is what I meant!) in just a few minutes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Susan, I enjoyed reading your outline of your hubby's sermon. It sounded very good and also a lesson we all could learn.

    I agree with everyone else that I would love to see the finished product on the pillow you're attempting to make.

    I know you're looking forward to your trip to Texas. Is that where you are originally from??

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happymama8:13 AM

    Hi Susan, just wanted to wish you a very Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just writing to say hi & how much I enjoy reading your blog & your friends blogs. I put a reply on one of your diabetes related posts. I can soooo relate. I am a type 2 diabetic controlling by pills & diet married to a type 1 diabetic controlling by insulin, pills & diet. My dad is diabetic & a late Uncle (his brother) was too & my late grandma. Hubby is legally blind due to un diagnosed diabetes (had it for yrs & didn't know it) & I have neuropathy in my feet from it. He can't work anymore due to being legally blind so I stay home & take care of him. I love him so much & am glad to be married to such a godly man. We live here in good old VA. You & your friends blogs are a real blessing. I am enjoying keeping up with you & your friends like Tammy, Mrs Wilt etc & the courting couple & the young unmarried homemakers helping out at home like Courtney. Ya'll seem like such sweet Christian ladies. :)

    Hope you don't mind me joining in here since I'm not an IFB Baptist. ;) But I am Christian & that's what matters is being saved. :) I go to & am a member of a good Bible believing Presbyterian church. We are alot like ya'lls church except we sprinkle when we baptize instead of dunking them & making them go swimming (Old joke there lol) & we get to be comfy & wear pants. Other than that we are alot like ya'll sing the old hymns & have a traditional worship service. In fact we've had a few IFB preachers come preach at our church & even supported an IFB missionary until he got old & retired out. I remember one of the preachers was Glen Browder. Do ya'll know him? A few yrs ago when we were between preachers we had quest preachers preach on Sunday & rotate & among the roatating guest preachers were the few IFB's. I forget their names but one of them use to talk abut his church & its school alot. He'd tell it like it is. He'd say we were gonna get our toes stepped on & we probably wouldn't want to invite him back but we always did. :) I think his wife died awhile back.

    I do have some ties to some IFB Baptists tho. I had a late Aunt & Uncle who were IFB's & very active in their church until Alzheimers sidelined them both. They knew a bunch of the old IFB preachers like Oliver Greene, Jack Hyles, Jerry Falwell, John R Rice, Harold Sightler etc. They are now exactly where they wanted to be up there in glory. Another Aunt & late Uncle were members of an IFB church in Charlotte, NC. I forget the name of it but it was the big one there & their preachers name was Jack somebody or other & they had out newsletters of their church. I just looked it up online & I think it is Northside Baptist that I came across. I think their preacher died awhile back. The Jack preacher. It just hit me what his name was! Jack Hudson! It was a Hudson like the Hudson car if ya'll remember those. :) One of my cousins her hubby is a Baptist preacher. He is good. I went to Jerry Falwells college for 2 1/2 yrs many yrs ago in the dark ages lol. I was one of Jerrys Kids lol. I spent alot time with you IFB's over the yrs. Between being around Falwells college & my aunt & uncle etc. There is an IFB baptis church on our road, Faith Baptist. Maybe ya'll have heard of it. (Prince George, VA). We've been to special stuff there a coupla times there like for a 9/11 service in memeory of what happened there & a dvd showing of Ed Hindson the IFB prophecy guy telling why that new Davinci Code movie is wrong. We don't go there even tho it is a good church & so close to us cuz we are happy at our church but we weish them well...

    Anwway it is very interesting keeping up with you & your friends thru your blogs & reading about your families & crafting etc. I'll read the blogs & then pray for you guys. Anyway God Bless you & your family & ministry. Been meaning to say HI & never got around to it till now... :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, Cheryl! You are more than welcome to join in with us - it's not a requirement that you be IFB! LOL I enjoyed your comments here and on the diabetes post. My mother was type 1; she passed away from complications of diabetes in 1981. She's fought it since she was 8 years old. Things have changed a lot in diabetes treatment since then.

    How neat that your family knew so many of the old preachers. Dr. Harold Sightler was my pastor when I was growing up. I never knew what a treasure I had till I moved away! Dr. Greene was one of my very favorite preachers.

    Please feel free to jump in here anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the welcome. Some IFBs don't seem to be too keen about non IFBS who wear slacks & read the newer Bible translations lol but I just knew I'd be welcome here cuz you all seem to be such sweet ladies. :)

    That is neat you used to go to Dr Sightlers church. I went to Dr Sightlers church once when I was about 4 or 5 yrs old with my folks & my Aunt. I had forgot about it until some yrs ago I started picking up Dr Sightler on the radio (he passed on a fe yrs back I think) & started listening to him whenever I could catch himon the radio. I asked my mom & Aunt about him & my Mom reminded me I had went ther the one time as a kid. I had vaguely rememebed going there but didn't realize it was Sightlers church. So I have been to your old church before. I like to listen to Dr Greenes re-runs whenever I can pick him up on the Chrisitan talk station up in Clairmont. One thing I remember about him was my mom would get up at 4:30 am to get ready for work & he would be on WRVA & she would listen to him while getting ready for work. I'd wake up, her Dr Green come on the radio & know my mom was up for the day, then roll over & goo back to bed lol. Not sure if I ever heard him live. My Aunt & Uncle really love & supported him. I remember when he died in the 70's. His radio show still lives on.

    So sorry to hear about your mom. Diabetes seems to be hitting so many these days. May God be with you & your family & church...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin