Thursday, May 04, 2006

Over That Mid-Week Hump

Whew! Another Thursday night come and gone. Each week, I seem to live between Sunday and Thursday, and then Thursday and Sunday. I have to have a lesson ready on both Sunday morning and Thursday night, so I feel like I'm always straining toward being ready for each of those days. When they finally come and I get my lessons taught, I feel like I can relax a bit. Today I had allergies so bad that I was feeling pretty tired by church time. I went upstairs and looked in the mirror - yikes! - and noticed that one of my eyes was very bloodshot, so I put some drops in, which really, really burned, and then they felt SO much better. So that refreshed me a bit, I was able to teach, sneezing only twice.

This allergy thing is really kind of funny. Until we moved to Texas in 1990, I had never had allergies in my life. There I developed winter allergies, of all things. In central Texas, mountain cedar pollinates in December, January, and February, and it spreads northward, right over the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, on the southerly winds that come up from the Gulf of Mexico during that same time of year. If you have cedar fever, it's horrible! And I learned that many people who have no other allergies develop allergies to mountain cedar. Which is what happened to me. I thought I had escaped all allergies here, and for the most part, it rains so much that the pollens stay washed down. But the past couple of weeks, we've had several days of sunshine and warm temps, and there is something here that I'm allergic to. One day I sneezed about 10 times in a row, barely catching my breath between each sneeze. There's also the runny, drippy nose and scratchy, red eyes. Of course, there are millions of evergreen trees here, but no mountain cedar of the Texas kind that I know of. It rained last weekend, and I quit sneezing. Now I'm actually looking forward to the rain starting again Saturday night! How's that for irony?

The kids have a youth activity tomorrow night, and Wes is going with them. I usually don't go, and Wes has told me that I can stay home again tomorrow night. I'm trying to decide what I want to do . . . sew? cross stitch? bubble bath? read? take a walk? watch a movie? Decisions, decisions.

5 comments:

  1. Susan, I'm sooo sorry you have allergies. I didn't know what it was like for people who had them until I met my husband and his family. So I know how miserable it can be for you!

    I hope you'll feel better (pray for rain). :) Maybe the bubble bath and stitching will help, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless your heart!! I hate to hear that you are having allergy issues. I can relate to that though. I never experienced being allergic to something in the air till the past couple of years. Mine hits me in the spring too. My husband never experienced allergies till about 12 or 13 yrs. ago. He had always had fall allergies (ragweed) but that year he began to have spring allergies. We were visiting my parents in Alabama when it hit. They lived in a log cabin surrounded by trees everywhere. He sneezed and sneezed and his eyes swelled up really bad. He was so miserable. That was the beginning of his troubles with spring allergies. My son has developed allergies to grass too. So he gets out of cutting the yard (he'll do anything to get out of yard work LOL!!). My girls are allergy free as far as things in the air are concerned. I hope they never do develop any.

    Enjoy your evening home alone!! I'm sure it will be peaceful and nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry you have developed allergies. I've had them most of my life (asthma, hives, the works). This time of year is really bad for me, as well as all seasons actually :o) but last year I developed an allergy to something that affects my eyes. Haven't figured out what it is yet.
    I would do the bubble bath and curl up with a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Susan, I say take the bubble bath and read while you're in there....then pop in a movie and cross-stitch!!!! That sounds like a wonderful thought ~~ I may have to do that myself!! (And have you noticed that I blogged every day this week?!) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sis Susan, hope you're feeling better soon. Our family has allergies. My youngest son more than the rest. But we recently got rid of our carpet and put down hard wood laminate and since then, he has done TREMENDOUSLY! I can't believe what a difference it has made. Anyway, enjoy your time alone. I hope you have a peaceful time alone.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin