Monday, April 24, 2006

I Went On a Mission Today

About a month ago I told you about my grandmother's quilt tops that I my aunt gave me. I knew they were probably old, but I didn't know how old. Last night, as I was waiting for Wes and Beth to come out of a restaurant, I looked down the street and saw a sign that looked like it said Guilt Shop (odd name for a shop, I thought). Took me a few seconds, but I eventually noticed the words Thread and Fabric on a couple of other sings, and it dawned on me that that sign said QUILT Shop (you probably figured that out faster than it took to read it, didn't you?!). Turns out it was The Thread Bear Fabrics, Ltd.0, and it's a big-time quilt shop, no less. They offer quilting retreats and cruises, in addition to classes! So I decided to take my quilt tops over there and ask them what I should do with them.

Needless to say, the ladies there were very interested in my quilt tops! It turns out that the butterfly one is made of fabrics from the 1930's, and the pansy Jacob's Ladder is from the '50's. They even have a reproduction fabric in their shop that is very similar to the pansy fabric. One of the ladies told me several times that I have a treasure . . . which I knew anyway, because they're a treasure to ME. They did suggest that I take them to an antique dealer and make sure that finishing them would not diminish their value. So I did that too. She said that the fabrics were indeed from the time periods already mentioned, and that finishing them not only would not diminish their value, but would be a great satisfaction to me . . . which I also knew anyway!

The ladies at the quilt shop have a lady who comes in on Fridays who works with customers free of charge to help them with their quilts. They said to bring the tops back when she is there, because she would love to see them and teach me how to hand-quilt. And they will also have a hand-quilting class this fall. So it looks like I'm going to learn to quilt, and do it with my Granny's quilt tops. This is going to be my quilt project for the next couple of winters, instead of trying to make the new Debbie Mumm one. That can wait - I have vintage stuff waiting to be loved!

6 comments:

  1. Oh how exciting! I can't wait to hear how it goes for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Susan, that's neat!! I know the quilts will mean so much to you all finished. Now...aren't you glad that sign said Quilt instead of Guilt? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww what an awesome thing! I cant wait to hear more as you work on them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's just too cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww..How neat..Can't wait to here more about them..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woo Hoo! That is so exciting!
    I had a quilt top that my grandmom made when she was 16, so that would have been early 1930's. We took it to a group of ladies and they put the back on and quilted it. It is a treasure!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin