Tuesday, April 18, 2006

I Have Books!

It's not often that I get excited about getting books from the library. I enjoy going to the library, and I get books that pique my interest, but rarely am I as thrilled as I am today.

I belong to an e-mail book club. The moderatore sends a brief bit of a particular book on Monday through Friday, and if I like the book for that week, I can reserve it at my library. I've reserved a few and they were ok, but one week she featured The Preacher's Daughter by Beverly Lewis. I love everything I've ever read by Beverly Lewis, so I jumped on this one. It's one of her newest books, and it was still on order when I reserved it, with one person ahead of me in the line. Today I checked my account online, and the book was in transit, and by this afternoon it was available. I'm really looking forward to reading this one, and I love that Beth can read it too. Beverly Lewis is one of a handful of authors that I feel I can allow Beth to read with no reservations.

One day last week, I caught a segment of Good Morning America when the great-grandchildren of Georg and Maria Von Trapp, the couple who inspired The Sound of Music, were performing. Last year was the 40th anniversary of the movie's premier. The only family members still singing are these great-grandchildren, from what I can gather, and they are on tour this year. I was impressed when the interviewer asked the young people if they secretly listened to rap music when they were at home. The 11-year-old boy, the youngest of the group, replied that actually, until recently they had subscribed to satellite radio and their favorite 3 stations were classical! Their current CD is called The Von Trapp Children, Volume II. The morning I saw them, they sang The Hills Are Alive, and it was beautiful - such a contrast to the singers they usually feature on GMA, which we have to turn off.

All that to say I got interested in the von Trapp family - the real-life family - so I went on an internet search and found that Maria von Trapp had written several books, the earliest of which, The Story of the Trapp Family Singers, is the inspiration for the movie. So I went to my library's online catalogue and searched for the books she wrote. They had two of them - the one mentioned above and Maria, My Own Story. So I reserved those two, and they also arrived at my library today. Now I have 3 books to read, all of which I'm very interested in, not just mildly interested. I may surface sometime next week! LOL

7 comments:

  1. I finished Preacher's Daughter a couple of weeks ago. It was good, but it did leave you longing for Book 2 in this series. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love Beverly Lewis and did you know that the second book to this one you mentioned is out? I noticed it advertised in a Christian bookstore catalog that we got in the mail this week. I've seen the Von Trapp CD in another magazine you might be familiar with...Vision Forum? I've never heard them sing, but love to. Thanks for sharing the info. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL @ surfacing sometime next week!

    Kevin gave me "The Preacher's Daughter" for Christmas. If only her books weren't such cliff hangers!

    And HappyMama...I didn't know the 2nd book is out!!! (Rushing off to the store to get it! ;-) )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I just called my local bookstore, which I know gets Beverly Lewis books as soon as they are published...and it isn't in book stores until the 29th of this month! She did say it is in the catalog though. So, I wonder if I ordered it, would I get it before the 29th?

    I think I can wait that long! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan...I found your site from comments you leave on Courtney's site. I've seen you leave comments MANY times but never checked out your site till now. I see you like to read. My daughter Kristina (who comments on Courtney's site and is close friends with her) loves to read Beverly Lewis books. I believe she has The Preacher's Daughter as well. I don't get much of a chance to read anything other than my Bible so I haven't read anything by her. I hear she is a very good author though. I will be checking back daily to see your posts. I look forward to getting to know you through the blogging world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have read one book about the Von Trapp family, but I can't remember exactly what it was called. :) It did tell their whole story though and it was quite interesting. They were Catholic so, it mentions a lot of their church traditions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The second book by Beverly Lewis is called The Englisher. It will be in Family Christian Stores on the 26th. Maybe you could order from them at FamilyChristian.com. I've never ordered from them so I don't know if they have an order catalog online, but if you're going to order it, maybe you'd like to try them.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin