Wednesday, April 12, 2006

The Advantages (?) of Being a SAHM

A stay at home mom. There are advantages. Today one of those advantages was a disadvantage for me. I decided to read a small portion of a book right after lunch. At the rec centre where our church meets, there is a large bookcase filled with donated books. Most are either trashy romance novels or ancient textbooks, but sometimes they'll have a good book or two in the stack. For example, one day I found A Night to Remember, the book written in the aftermath of the sinking of the Titanic. I've also found a couple of old cookbooks and health books that were interesting. This past Sunday I found an "inspirational romance" which generally means it's of a Christian nature, so I got it, thinking it would be an interesting little bit of light reading.

Well, I was right about the light part. It's Christian, yes. But it's cheesy. Horribly cheesy. I spent two hours reading it this afternoon, but I'm not going to finish it. It was a total waste of time.

So I say that my advantage of having the luxury to take the time to read a flippy little book like that turned out to be a disadvantage for me today. I could have done other things that were more productive. That's one thing I've always struggled with since I began staying home when Samuel was born - how to spend my time productively. I want to do it, and it sounds good, but putting it into practice is the hard part. The older I get, the more I want to spend my time wisely "redeeming the time." I came to the point several years ago that I quit reading novels of any kind because they captured my entire attention, and I tended to ignore my children, putting them off when they wanted me, forgetting about dinner till 30 minutes before Wes was due home, and letting the house fall down around me. That had to stop! Now I have more time to read occasionally, but I don't want to read fluffy stuff. Using our time wisely is a balancing act, isn't it? Here lately I'm finding more satisfaction in doing something active, rather than sitting and reading. What are some ways that you balance your time between work and relaxation?

2 comments:

  1. I just did a post about Keepers of the Faith. They publish books from long ago and are very affordable. I like their fiction because it is not 'romancy' or 'cheesy'. Their fiction is character building so that I don't feel as if I've wasted my time after reading them. I've listed my favourites with links that give book summaries. I also have a few biographies listed and they sell several biographies. They also wrote one of the best books on marriage I've ever read.

    I just thought I'd mention it since you were talking about books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMmmmm....even though Kenny goes to 'special' school, because of his need to be 'engaged' when home I clean and do 'all things domestic' before he's home. I don't get a lot of down time (wish I did!!!). But I hear you on the novels thing. Been there, done that (it was a way I dealt with stress....escape into another 'world', so to speak). Reading novels is FINE, but I got caught up, as well. I think I'll watch to see the tips for myself, as well. Crossword puzzle books are kinda my 'fill-ins'.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin