Sunday, March 19, 2006

Of Quilts and Things

Deb mentioned over on Mountains Musings that yesterday was National Quilting Day. I've made exactly one quilted item in my life, and that was a wall hanging that I gave to my Secret Pal that year. That's been at least 13 years ago, probably more. Deb and her daughter have been working on pinwheel quilts, and I ran across another blogger (can't remember which blog I saw it on now) who is doing a Debbie Mumm quilt. While I was on the Debbie Mumm site, I found her 20th anniversary Year-Long Samper Quilt Project. It's just one square a month. You know what's coming, don't you?! I printed out that first month, which has all the supplies for the year, and I'm going to buy those supplies and do these quilt blocks this year! I have $20 saved up already, and I have some more money coming soon. No, I haven't told Wes yet, although I have mentioned the quilt in passing. You think he'll notice if I come home with a bag of fabric? But I'm thinking that it shouldn't be too hard to do one little quilt block a month, now should it?

Wes and I have begun frequenting the sale and free ads on craigslist. Earlier this week there was a listing for two free wall swags. There was a picture of them, and they looked good, so I contacted the person about them. I picked them up yesterday, and they are beautiful! I'll take pictures of them as soon as I have them on the walls. I haven't quite decided exactly where to put them yet.

I worked on Wes's eagle cross stitch several nights this week. It doesn't look like much got done, but I did stitch quite a bit. I worked a little on the bird, then did some more on the mountains. All that brown really plays with my eyes! I'm going to work on the eagle one more week before I move on to Sweet Treat, the hummingbird project. Even though it doesn't look like I got much done, I still feel that I accomplished something by working on it even a little. I'm not sure that it will be done by Wes's birthday in May, but I'll work toward that end.

I think I'll get out my apron pattern and see if I can get a couple of new ones made. I have a few pieces of fabric that would probably work well for aprons. One is a small piece with Texas things on it, like bluebonnets and lone stars. When I saw it in my stash last week, I decided that I want to incorporate it into an apron. I hate Texas' heat, but I do have a soft spot in my heart for that blazing place! I spent 14 years of my life there, after all (not much, considering I'm 40!), I got saved there, and two of my children were born there. So we'll see what I can come up with.

I've spent so much time dreaming up things to do, and that's where it stops. I've decided I don't want to do that anymore. I've done the same with decorating. I think something will look nice in a certain spot or that I should use a certain item somehow, then I never get to it. Just call me the queen of procrastination!

2 comments:

  1. Susan, thanks for linking to the Debbie Mumm site! I love her products, and the Garden Wall Hanging was beautiful with the watering can (I like old watering cans!). I would LOVE to do that one!

    And that is so neat that you are tackling the 20th anniv monthly block quilt!! I can't wait to see your colors. Did you come up with your own or follow the color scheme they posted in their sample? I would love the finish it and win the Debbie Mumm gift basket! Although I think I need to finish my currrent project first! But who knows? Maybe I could catch up...

    Great on getting some done on your eagle. Keep stitchin'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean by procrastinating. I'm always starting books, but I never seem to get around to finishing them. I've also started on projects that were GREAT ideas, but once I started on them, they didn't seem THAT great. :) I need to do better I know.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin