Saturday, March 04, 2006

My Husband, Computer Genius

Maybe he's just powerful. I don't know. It all started when he was in the Air Force. A friend of ours had a home computer (this was in 1987) and he showed Wes all the fun games they could play when we were over at their house. He could also do some work on his computer. Wes liked it, so much so that three years into his AF career, he decided to cross-train into computer programming. That's how we got to Texas, by the way. He was sent to Carswell AFB in Ft. Worth - and the rest is history, as they say. Wes found that he was good, really good, with computer stuff. He could make computers work when no one else could. That's how the legend got started.

He spent 7 more years in the Air Force, during which time he had much fun fixing stubborn computers for unhappy officers and playing practical jokes on smart aleck sergents who didn't back up their hard drives (another terribly funny story for another day!). When he separated from the AF, our pastor in Ft. Worth asked him to come on staff at the church, and Wes became the official "church computer guy." There could be some major problem with a computer, that no one could fix. Wes would walk in, push a button or type a few things, maybe even uninstall and reinstall some program or other - all of which had already been done, mind you, by other computer guys, to no avail - and the computer would start working again. Wes began to believe that computers feared him. It did seem to be true. He was my Computer Genius!

One day he walked into the office and our pastor's wife's computer was being bad. She couldn't get it to work right, no matter what she did. Wes walked in and she told on that bad computer. Wes walked over to it and it started working. She said, "What did you do?" And he said, "Nothing. Computers fear me." Computer Genius strikes again!

I've seen this happen myself, with our computers at home. He just walks in the room, and they start working (well, except for my laptop, which has been a bit more stubborn than most). But yesterday took the cake. We had called our pastor's wife to fax something to us. She had tried for over an hour, but it never arrived. Wes was out for the morning, during the time she was trying to send the fax. I finally called her back, thinking she had forgotten to fax us. She said she'd been trying, but it wouldn't go. I went upstairs to look at the fax machine (not that I know anything about them, but if I go and look at it, I've done my part, you know), and told her to try again, everything looked right on my end. Still no fax. A few minutes later, Wes got home and Mrs. JoAnn (through IM) and I (through my voice, of course) poured out our tale of woe - the fax just wouldn't work! The Computer Genius sits down at his desk. He asks Mrs. JoAnn if she has the correct phone number (she does). She asks if she should try one more time. He says, "Please." She dials the number in the office . . . the fax begins working . . . Wes gets up to check our fax machine . . . it's receiving the fax. The stubborn machine, that would not work for a whole morning - is now working, humming away like nobody's business. My Computer Genius man comes downstairs, where I've retreated from this problem, and announces, "Machines fear me!" Good grief!

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:03 AM

    You've got a good man around!! haha Thanks for sharing not just his skill, but the way you exhort his talent is very much a blessing.

    urbanchristian

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny, but weird. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. JIM is the same way! OH my word..our printers NEVER work when I use them..all he has to do is come home and sit down and they print. I am like..what did you do? I just hit print he will say. FRUSTRATING!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:06 PM

    How wierd! My hubby, whose middle name is Wes, is the same way. He is a programmer too.

    Ellen, from MIH

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:06 PM

    How wierd! My hubby, whose middle name is Wes, is the same way. He is a programmer too.

    Ellen, from MIH

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin