Saturday, March 25, 2006

I Just Had to Blog This!

The wife of Sen. Robert Byrd of West Virginia died today. She was 88 years old, and she and Sen. Byrd, married for nearly 69 years, had known each other since grade school. This is what he said of her on their 65th wedding anniversary:

"Erma and I are complete and whole, a total that is more than the sum of its parts," Byrd said of his wife on their 65th wedding anniversary in 2002. "In my life, Erma Ora Byrd is the diamond. She is a priceless treasure, a multifaceted woman of great insight and wisdom, of quiet humor and common sense."


What an honor for Mrs. Byrd! To be called a diamond, a priceless treasure, by her husband! Reminds me of the Proverbs 31 woman . . .

Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies. The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her, so that he shall have no need of spoil . . . Her husband is known in the gates, when he sitteth among the elders of the land . . . her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her.
Proverbs 31:10,11,23,28


Take all your money, jobs, promotions, fame . . . when I come to the end of my life, I want my husband's praise. None of the material things of this life will matter.

I'm sure that Sen. Byrd will sorely miss his priceless treasure. My prayers are with him and his family.

2 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard that news. That certainly is a wonderful tribute to a wife. I saw your comment on "Dappled Things."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Beverly! I just spent a few minutes at your blog and enjoyed it a lot. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin