Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Crafty Thoughts

The craft bug has bitten me again. Actually, I'm always interested in doing something crafty, but I usually don't feel that I can sit down and do anything (other things are more important) or I find something else to do, like chat with someone online or something of that nature. Last night, though, I decided to get out my cross stitch stash and see what was lurking in there from days gone by. I don't think I've done any cross stitch since before we moved up here, over 1 1/2 years ago. Cross stitch is my first crafting love. There's something about taking all those different colored threads, and one x at a time, making something beautiful. It relaxes me.

The biggest project I have going . . . and going . . . and going . . . is an eagle for Wes. When I bought the supplies for it, around Christmas of '90-something, I fully intended to finish it for his birthday in May. Well, that eagle has seen a whole bunch of Mays go by without being finished! It's our standing joke, when it comes to my crafting. I won't take the time right now to tell you of my other ongoing craft projects other than cross stitch. Here is what I have done (over the course of several years, mind you), and the chart next to it with how it will look once it's completed. You can see the grid I made for myself; I was going cross-eyed looking at all those different shades of brown in that eagle, so I made the grid to give myself some reference points. I don't know if that's what you're supposed to do, but I needed some kind of guide.

Anyway, I also found a small hummingbird kit called Sweet Treat that I started while we were traveling for our ministry. I really love the jewel-toned greens and pinks in this one, and it's the next thing I want to finish. I have another kit that is a bookmark entitled May the Lord Bless Thee - blue morning glories - that someone gave me as a gift. Last, I have several Christmas ornaments in various stages of completion. Every year I think how nice it would be to give homemade Christmas ornaments to family and friends. This year I have the beginnings of a plan!

My plan is still in the beginning stages, though. I've read a bit about rotation stitching online, whereby a stitcher spends a certain amount of time on one project, then moves on to the next project in line, rotating through her projects until all are finished. The reason for rotating the projects is to avoid burnout, which I can definitely testify has happened to me. I'll stitch and stitch on one thing till I'm sick of it, then I don't pick it up again for months. The eagle will take several rotations, I'm sure. Sweet Treat, the hummingbirds, may take a couple, but the other projects will probably finish quicker than the first two. Last night I spent one hour on the eagle, and actually accomplished more than I expected to, although in the overall chart, it wasn't much. That hour was very enjoyable and relaxing to me; I think I'll try to do this 2-3 evenings a week and see how it goes.

One more thing . . . I was going to get out the scarf I made when we went to SC in November and take a picture of it, but I can't find that thing anywhere! I've done some decluttering recently, but I don't remember coming across it. Now I'm feeling the urge to tear everything apart till I find that scarf! LOL Breathe, Susan . . .

8 comments:

  1. Hi Susan! I enjoyed your x-stitching post; I'm a x-stitcher from waaay back. I can't tell you how many different projects I have in various stages of completion. I WISH I could get them done. Your rotation plan sounds like a good idea--I've never tried that.

    Here's what I would do when I was working on a project. Every morning at 8:30 - 9:00 David Jeremiah's program was on the radio. I designated his 30 min program as my one time of the day I would x-stitch. I know only 30 min doesn't sound like much. But would you believe how much 30 min adds up when it's a daily for-sure thing!? I got a lot done!

    Now that I don't have that planned in my schedule, NO x-stitching gets done. Just recently I looked for the last pattern I was working on because I wanted to take it to my mom's. I've not found it yet. But I'm encouraged now since you brought up x-stitching to try and get back into it again...even if only for a few minutes a day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb, the 30 minutes a day at a certain time sounds good! Especially listening to a good program like that. When I was stitching Monday night, I had a CD in the player, and it was so relaxing. I know that doing something a little bit each day gets a lot accomplished over time - I've learned that with my housekeeping.

    Let us know when you get your projects going again. I'd love to see your work! Speaking of projects, did you ever post pics of your quilts?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mrs. Susan!! I have that same x-stitch pattern too!!! I completed it once as a gift to a friend. It took me months and had tons of mistakes that no one know about except me. Trust me, it is well worth the effort to get it done. Once it is matted and framed it is simply gorgeous. Everyone that comes in your home will tell you how beautiful it is, I promise.

    Now that I've given you that encouraging pep-talk, maybe I'll finally go finish those culottes I started months ago. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I found your blog from Candy's. As soon as I read that you're IFB, KJB, I wanted to check out your blog. There aren't too many IFB's with blogs so I'm excited to find yours. I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elizabeth, you do indeed inspire me to finish that eagle! I had intended it for Wes's office, but we may just have to hang that fella somewhere that everyone can see it, since it takes so much work. How did you ever get through all those brown shades on that bird?! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mrs. B, so glad you stopped by! YOu're right - not too many IFB, KJV folks blogging. Hope to see you again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Susan, to answer your question on the quilts. They're still in progress. Hannah and I got hung up on the actual quilting part. We're learning how to use this walking foot and trying to keep it from bunching up the material in back. It's making me want to just tie it off and forget the quilting. But it looks so beautiful so far I wanted it to be completed the right way. Pics will be posted soon. My goal was to be finished by April 1st. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Let's see... how did I finish the brown shades. Ummm, we'll say that was one of the areas where there are a whole lot of mistakes. Also, when I x-stitch, I change which area I'm working on too. When I get sick of the bird, I'd switch to the mountain or the trees.

    BTW, my culottes are still in pieces in a plastic bag.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin