Monday, March 27, 2006

Berry-Banana-Walnut Bread

I've had a couple of requests to post the recipe for the Strawberry-Banana bread that Beth made on Friday. So here you go! It's from our Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book (which was new in 1989). My mother used her BH&G cookbook for years, I used one from my early marriage, and now I have this one. It's my "staple" cookbook.

Berry-Banana-Walnut Bread

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 beaten eggs
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup mashed strawberries or raspberries (about 1 1/2 cups whole berries)
1/2 cup mashed ripe banana
1/4 cup cooking oil
1 1/2 teaspoons finely shredded orange peel
1 cup chopped walnuts

In a bowl comine flour, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg, and salt. In another bowl stir together eggs, sugar, mashed berries, banana, oil, and orange peel. Add to flour mixture, stirring just till combined. Stir in nuts. Pour into a greased 9x5x3-inch loaf pan. Bake in a 350-degree oven for 60 to 70 minutes or till a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Remove from pan; cool on a rack. Wrap and store overnight. Makes 1 loaf (18 servings). Note: We did NOT get 18 servings out of that loaf of bread! LOL

1 comment:

  1. Rachel7:06 PM

    Thanks for the recipe, Susan. And, I know what you mean about serving sizes. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin