Friday, February 24, 2006

Ladies' Meeting

Tomorrow is our first ladies' meeting of Lions Gate Baptist Church. I'm excited, but also a little nervous, as it's the first time I've done this from scratch. I was very involved in our ladies' fellowship at our sending church. These ladies here have been to ladies' Bible studies, but I don't think any of them have been to just a plain old ladies' meeting for fellowship and a devotion. I want them to enjoy it, but I don't want to overwhelm them with plans and ideas, either. As I knew I would be, I'm a basket case today, worrying that I haven't planned enough or that I'm not prepared, but Wes reassured me that I always do this and I'm always ready. I love that he has confidence in me, but he can't see down inside of me and know how unprepared I really feel!

I do have lots of dreams for our ladies. The women of a church can make or break that church by their attitudes and actions. So far, we have ladies who are like gold to us! There are so many opportunities for service with ladies. Someday I'd like to see us ministering to missionary wives around the world - we have such a culturally diverse group here that I can see them really rallying around missionary wives in their home countries! Another idea I have is to make blankets or hats or some such thing for the sick, homeless, and elderly. I'd like to see a nursing home ministry that has ladies connecting with the elderly, visiting with them or reading to them, anything to minister to these often forgotten members of our society.

Tomorrow I'm going to introduce the concept of having prayer sisters or partners among our ladies. I'll have them fill out an information sheet, including special prayer requests, and then we'll be paired up to pray for and with each other. I've heard that the best way to get to know and love someone is to pray for them. I want to see our relationships grow with each other, and Wes has given his agreement for us to have prayer sisters.

I have a devotion ready with my personal theme for this year, My Heart is Fixed in 2006. I want my own heart and my ladies' hearts fixed, as in focused, on our Lord, our homes, and our testimonies. I'll also give my personal testimony of salvation. It's good for ladies to know their pastor's wife's salvation testimony, for one thing; and for another, it gives testimony to the fact that my heart has been fixed, as in repaired or restored - another facet of having a fixed heart! If the heart isn't 'fixed', it can't very well be 'fixed', can it?! It never hurts to examine our hearts and make sure they are fixed, no matter which definition you use!

3 comments:

  1. Susan, I just prayed for your ladies' meeting! Can't wait to hear how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am praying you have a wonderful Ladies Meeting..I pray you for a blessing..Can't wait to here about it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same here. I prayed for you 11:30 a.m. my time...that you would not be too nervous and have a good time at the meeting. I'm sure they enjoyed hearing you share your testimony.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin