Thursday, February 23, 2006

Hands Down!

John, the head of the dental lab we visited today, had the kids make molds of their hands to see how it's done with teeth. At first, I wasn't sure about this: would the kids think this was childish? As it turned out, it's been the source of unending jokes and cliches for the rest of the day!

John mixed up the goopy stuff that the dentist uses to make an impression of your teeth - I think it was called Alginate. Then he poured some in one of their hands and made a puddle of it in a small box, which they put their hand into. After setting in the alginate for several minutes, they removed their hands and John poured in plaster to make the impression. The end result was so fun! It's so detailed that you can see their fingerprints and the lines in their hands. We've had fun with all the "hand" sayings:

Let me give you a hand
Shake my hand
He's holding your hand!
Talk to the hand
Need a hand?
Get your hand off my shoulder
I'm holding my hand
Hands down
Hand in my pocket (the song on the commercial - do you have that one in the US?)

I'm sure you can think of more, but I don't want to hear it! LOL Here's a picture of their hands, in their unpolished state. They'll file away the rough edges and sand the bottoms so they'll sit flat, then who knows what they'll do with them! Andrew has already had a candle in the palm of his hand. These are in order of age - Samuel, Andrew, then Beth. Samuel doesn't have dents in his finger tips; those were air bubbles! LOL

5 comments:

  1. Wow, that is neat! Sounds like you had a nice time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really something!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow..That is really neat!!! Glad you had a great time....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are so cool!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin