Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Speaking of Reading . . .

I love to read! I actually remember learning to read in the first grade! LOL I remember wanting to learn to read so badly, but I just couldn't get it. My teacher (apparently a good one!) stopped at my desk one day as I was looking at my reader, and asked me if I could read it. I told her that I really wanted to learn to read, and she told me to start with the first page, and figure out all the words on that page, and not go to the next page until I could read the first one without stopping. Now, being a homeschooling mom, I spent that one-on-one time with my children, teaching them to read, but this worked for me in a large classroom in a public school. I can still see the page in my mind, but I can't remember the words - seems like it was something about a tiger. But that's how much I love to read - I look back fondly on the day it all made sense! LOL I remember going home and getting out my favorite books to read all by myself! What a sap I am!

Anyway . . . now, about 35 years later, I have bookshelves full of books that I haven't read yet, and quite a few books that I'd like to read again, so I made a list of all the books I'd like to read this year. It came to over 40 books, plus I found more today that I didn't notice before. These are all just in my house . . . this isn't counting all the ones at the library that I'd like to get my hands on! The ones I want to read at home are more serious than what I'd get at the library, such as Humility and Absolute Surrender by Andrew Murray; biographies of people like Mary Slessor and Ann Judson; inspirational books such as The Christian's Secret of a Happy Life by Hannah Whitall Smith and Stepping Heavenward by Elizabeth Prentiss; and books for ladies by other Christian ladies like Mrs. Beverly Hyles and Mrs. Cathy Corle.

I want to catalog my reading list and mark them off as I read them. I have a feeling it's going to be slow. I just don't have a great deal of time to sit and read, and when I do I tend to fall asleep! LOL I sat down this afternoon to read and fell asleep. I'll have to figure out a good time to read when I'll be more likely to stay awake.

I may share my complete list with you when I get it cataloged. One thing you might notice is that I like more of the older authors. I like deeper reading than what much of the fluff is today. Currently I'm reading Charles Spurgeon's A Passion for Holiness in a Believer's Life. I have to read it slowly and think about what I'm reading, partially because the style of the language is more formal than we use today, but also because the thoughts are deeper than we are used to today. I think that has to do with our entertainment-driven lifestyle: if it takes longer than a few seconds to figure out what's being said, we don't read any farther. We're used to fast information, and we don't have to think to process it. Most of it is already digested for us and we're told what to think about it . . . but that's another thought for another day, I suppose! What I was saying was that I like to be forced to think about what the author is saying, rather than being spoon-fed his beliefs. Just a little tic of mine, I suppose. There are some good modern-day authors, of course, but my first love is the old authors! Wes likes to go even farther back than I do!

Looking back at that, it looks like I fancy myself to be a deep thinker. I'm not! But I do like to think and study on things . . . and say what I think about them . . . which is why I have a blog! So there you have it!

2 comments:

  1. Your a woman after my own heart Susan! I love to read! Have so many books! Wish I had time to read more.Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember being in first grade and reading a book. The words were so hard back then. I love reading too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin