Sunday, January 01, 2006

Bible Reading Schedules


I'm the type who likes to TRY to my Bible through in a year. I say TRY because in earlier years, I always had good intentions and would start out with great enthusiasm in Genesis 1 on January 1. Or maybe Genesis 1 and Matthew 1, if the plan I had did morning and evening readings. But along about Leviticus I'd fizzle out, and if not that early, then definitely when I go to the Isaiah/Jeremiah/Ezekiel time frame. Several years I just plowed on through, but many years I'd give up and try something else.

This year I decided to do something different. I was even considering trying just the New Testament and Psalms, and reading a chapter in Proverbs each day, and then concentrating on Bible study just a bit more. Wes printed off some Bible reading plans for our church folks, but they were the traditional, straight-through-the-Bible plans, and I wanted something different! So last night - can we say last possible minute? - last night I was running some searches on some phrases online, and I came upon a site that said "Bible reading for May 3, 2006". I thought that was odd, since we hadn't even begun 2006 yet, so I clicked on it. What I found turned out to be the Bible reading plan I chose for this year!

The site is Bible-Reading.com, and the plan is to read from a different portion of the Bible each day of the week for 52 weeks, reading through the whole Bible in one year. For example, Sunday is the day that you read from the Epistles, Monday from The Law, Tuesday from the Historical books, and so on. I like this plan because it pulls from a different part of the Bible each day of the week, which I think will keep me from getting bogged down in Ezekiel! That is also the one drawback - today I read Romans 1,2 which I thoroughly enjoyed, and was looking forward to continuing that tomorrow, when I realized I won't continue in Romans till next Sunday! Now, there's nothing stopping me from reading from Romans this week if I want to, but the plan doesn't call for it till next Sunday. Anyway, I'm going to use this plan this year. I showed it to Wes, and he said it looked interesting, but he's reading chronologically this year.

If you feel like you've gotten into a rut with your Bible reading, you might check out this plan. I don't believe there's only one method to read your Bible by, and I do believe in following the Holy Spirit's leading, should He park you in one spot for a while, but having a plan of some kind is good to keep yourself on track. My pastor always says, "A rut is just a grave with both ends kicked out." I had gotten into a rut, and I wanted out!

3 comments:

  1. I am going to follow this with you Susan. Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this plan! Me and my kids will be reading with you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also reading through the Bible in one year. I'm using this link: Bible reading plan

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin