Monday, November 07, 2005

Before I Go To Bed

I can't go to bed without telling you the song that was going through my mind this morning. It popped back into my mind just a few minutes ago as I reflected on God's grace and love (after posting about the prayer plan and writing down some of the attributes of God to praise Him for!). It's an old hymn that I've known probably for 30 years or more. I'd never really thought about the words to this song until just the past few years, and the more I think on them, the more precious they become. The old hymns are like that; they are full of rich Scripture and doctrine, the meat of the Word to dwell on as you go about your day. You sure don't get that from contemporary Christian music, do you? There's only so much I can get out of singing "I can only imagine" 500 times, you know? Here's the song.

At Calvary
Years I spent in vanity and pride
Caring not my Lord was cricified.
Knowing not it was for me He died
On Calvary!

By God's Word at last my sin I learned
Then I trembled at the law I'd spurned.
Till my guilty soul imploring turned
To Calvary!

Oh, the love that drew salvation's plan!
Oh, the grace that brought it down to man!
Oh, the mighty gulf that God did span
At Calvary!

Now I've giv'n to Jesus everything;
Now I gladly own Him as my King!
Now my rapture soul can only sing
Of Calvary!

Chorus:
Mercy there was great and grace was free;
Pardon there was multiplied to me.
There my burdened soul found liberty
At Calvary!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous5:52 AM

    Your last two blogs were a help to me!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for reminding me to look! Rebekah is my computer whiz/computer junkie/computer hog! I don't get on much except to check ebay and lately I have had nothing to sell so nothing to check!
    Thanks again for the blogs. I needed them!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin