Monday, October 10, 2005

Happy Thanksgiving!

No, I'm not living in the future! Today is Thanksgiving Day in Canada! This is taking some getting used to. I'm used to Thanksgiving being at the end of November, so I have to really push myself to get into the holiday 6 weeks early. It feels nice and Thanksgiving-ish here in Vancouver today - cold and rainy. My windows are all fogged up from the cooking. I'm fixing a large roasting hen instead of a turkey, but the rest of our Thanksgiving meal will be our traditional foods - in other words, southern Thanksgiving. I'll be making cornbread dressing, sweet potato souffle (not sure that's what it's really called or how it's really spelled, but that's what we call it), homemade yeast rolls, corn, broccoli, pumpkin pie, and of course, iced tea to drink.

It never hurts to take time to stop and count our blessings, no matter what time of year. I'm so thankful for my husband, who has proven his love to me time and again in the past 21 years; for our three healthy, happy, obedient children, who also still love me after all my goofs as a mother. As a family, we're thankful that God has called us here to Vancouver to do His work. I'm also thankful for my extended family, who are all saved and serving the Lord, and for our strong network of friends across the US, who support us and pray for us faithfully - without them, our ministry here would literally be impossible. I'm most thankful that I heard the Gospel and was saved. Without the Lord Jesus in my life, I would have no reason to live. He's everything to me!

3 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving! So, will you put on the candles and play Christmas music? :)

    Our Thanksgiving tradition is to put up our tree the day after Thanksgiving complete with a "trim-the-tree" party. It would be very hard for me to get used to Thanksgiving in October!

    Yes, we all have much to be thankful for...and that we can do no matter when we actually celebrate the day.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving!! My momma is wearing her Roots Canadian sweatshirt today ( my daddy bought it for her when he was in Canada on a business trip ). I think she had it on before she knew about the holiday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! My husband would sooner die than listen to Christmas music for 2 1/2 months! LOL We will wait until after we get back from our US trip to decorate and listen to Christmas music.

    Courtney, tell your mom Happy Canadian Thanksgiving from these transplanted Americans!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin