Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Yeast Dinner Rolls

Here's the recipe I use for rolls. The mixing is fairly quick and painless, so that's why it's my favorite! :) I used to be terrified of baking bread, until a good friend told me to quit being afraid of the dough and just handle it, throw it around, beat it, abuse it! LOL From that time on, I've never had a bad batch of bread or rolls.

Yeast Dinner Rolls

1 package (1/4 oz.) active dry yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water (110-115 degrees)
1 can (12 oz.) evaporated milk
2 eggs
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
2 teaspoons salt
8 to 8 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
Additional melted butter or margarine, optional

In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add milk, eggs, sugar, butter, salt and 4 cups flour until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise ina warm place until doubled, about 1 1/2 hours. Punch dough down; divide into four portions. Shape each into eight rolls; place 20 rolls in a greased 13x9 inch baking pan. Place 12 rolls in a greased 8 inch square baking pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 20-30 minutes. Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with butter if desired. Yield: 32 rolls

To freeze, shape into rolls and place on baking sheet. Place pans in freezer and allow rolls to freeze, then transfer rolls to freezer bag. To thaw, remove desired amount of rolls from freezer, place on greased baking sheet, and cover with a damp cloth. Allow to thaw and rise for several hours, then bake as above. I usually take them out in the morning to be ready in late afternoon, or the night before if I'm using them for dinner after church on Sunday.

10 comments:

  1. oh what a GREAT Idea. I have a a really good roll recipe that I should do that with..yours sounds similar. :) I never think about freezing till I read someone does it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My family just loves rolls! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting it!! I'm sooo careful when I make homemade bread, that it takes forever to make. Maybe I'm being too careful too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These sound so good, Susan! I'll have to give them a try soon! So far, I've yet to have rolls turn out for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We just made sure we had yeast and evaporated milk on hand. Looks like your rolls are in our dinner plans one night this week. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, everybody has to let me know how your rolls turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah Joy9:08 PM

    I gotta try it too!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Susan, I made these on Friday. They turned out SO well! I was impressed! :) Like I said, I've never had rolls turn out for me.

    The only thing that went wrong was that there were two pans in my oven, and because of that, the rolls on the bottom rack were a little doughy on the top. I put them back in the oven though, and they turned out fine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woohooo, Tammy!!!! I'm so glad it worked for you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin