Wednesday, September 21, 2005

What Did I Do Today?

Good question! I was busy all day, but it was the kind of busy that just gets the immediate things done. I did a little cleaning, some laundry, put dinner in the crockpot, ran over to Vancouver to pick up some videos from a friend, went to the library, graded a test and two reports . . . just lots of little piddly things, but it was a good, "normal" day. Like I've said before, normal days are the stuff life is made of.

As I was reading my Bible this morning, I read in Psalm 73. I have marked in my Bible beside verses 21, 22, and 28 the words conviction, confession, and returning. These are the steps of true repentance. Many times we quote I John 1:9, never really thinking about what it means to confess our sins. In the verses in Psalms, David put it right down on the bottom shelf, where we can get hold of it. Verse 21 . . . "my heart was grieved, I was pricked in my reins." When God's Holy Spirit pricks your heart about something, it's time to listen up! Verse 22 . . . "So foolish was I, and ignorant: I was as a beast . . ." Go ahead and confess how foolish, ignorant, and wicked you are; God knows anyway. Confession is just agreeing with God about your sin. Then, verse 23 . . . "it is good for me to draw neart to God . . ." He's right there where you left Him (He didn't move - you did). It's good to draw near Him. One of my very favorite verses is James 4:8 - "Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you." My pastor illustrates this by having a person stand a distance away from him, then instructs that person to take a step toward him. When the person takes one step toward my pastor, he takes a step toward the person. They continue like that until they meet in the middle. I just love that!

See, when I've done someone wrong, I'm ashamed to look them in the eye. I might avoid them altogether, or be more subdued around them. I'm that way with God, too. When I have known sin in my heart, I don't want to look God in the eye. I even avoid Him. But then He reminds me to draw near to Him and He'll draw near to me. What a relief! That's when that pricking in my heart can be relieved, when I can tell Him exactly what I've done and agree with Him that I was foolish and sinful. Then I can take a faltering step back toward Him, and He takes a firm stride toward me. We meet in the middle and He welcomes me back with open arms!

1 comment:

  1. Psalm 73 is one of my favorite Psalms! I have been able to relate to what David went through in the first part of the Psalm more than once. Lots of times we set our eyes on people and wonder why they get to do this or that and we can't, or why others seem to "prosper". I love the transition verse in the Psalm about how he went to the congregation of the Lord and then understood their end. When I remember that, I too become aware of my foolish thinking.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin