Thursday, September 29, 2005

I've Been Brooding

There's a major storm brewing in my brain! LOL I haven't been brooding in a gloomy way, just thinking. I'm having trouble getting my thoughts organized, but here's the main concern I have:

How much should we depend on Christian authors and spiritual leaders for advice on Christian living? It's not wrong to read good books, nor is it wrong to read after those we admire and who have helped us in various areas of our lives. My concern is that the authors and bloggers and spiritual leaders are replacing our husbands and pastors, and even our Bibles, as those to whom we turn for advice. We need to have discernment in all our reading and search the Scriptures to make sure that whatever we're reading lines up with God's Word. There may be parts of a book that are excellent, but you have to ignore other parts of it, or at least take them with a grain of salt.

I have lots of thoughts swirling around in there. My husband says that's a dangerous thing! LOL

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:20 AM

    this is something i have been wondering too....i really think the people are starting to idolise the pearls (to train a child etc), and worry that people are using the pearls as their main guide. the bible is all we need

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, I fully agree with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see it all the time! But with me, everything I hear or read makes me turn to my Bible, husband or pastor for validity and truth of the matter at hand. No matter how reliable the "source". Even if it is one of my good christian friends I will look to the Bible and ask my hubby whether or not this is good advice.
    People now a days just get lazy and don't want to pray, study the Bible and get the peace of God about their Christian walk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, you're right! I didn't grow up in a Christian family, but I was saved in high school and believed just about everything that was preached or things I read, etc. I should have been searching out EVERYTHING in the scriptures so that I would believe what God wanted me to and not man. Thankfully, we left that church and found a church that promoted studying the scriptures for yourself and not just relying on man's interpretation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well since I cant ask my husband about what lines up with the bible. I have a couple of peoples I go to when I need help clearing something up or need advice or whatever. I do not think that is wrong. ITs better that I ask someone than to either not know or think/do the wrong thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carolyn, just to be clear, I'm not talking about asking for advice in general concerning housekeeping and things like that. I'm referring to people who latch on to one particular person or religious group and think that they are basically never wrong and don't check their advice against the Bible. Even if you can't ask your husband about something, you can search the Bible, ask your pastor or his wife, or ask other ladies whose guidance you would trust. I've never known you to just blindly swallow what people have to say without checking it out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. NO way! LOL NO blind here, but I do admit I seek advice or understanding a lot. I always go to my bible. But I do ask. Sometimes to even confirm that my thoughts are right!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As you'll see (if I pursue this line of thought I have) I'm not saying at all that a person shouldn't seek counsel, but that counsel should be held up to Scripture to make sure it's right.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with you Susan, if my words "sound" wrong they certainly are not meant to! :)
    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  10. No problems here, Carolyn!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin