Monday, September 19, 2005

Add Rolls to That Corn

I made a batch of yeast rolls this afternoon. The recipe makes 32 rolls, but I squeezed out 43 . . . thanks to a dozen cloverleaf rolls. We had one dozen for supper with leftover Potato Minestrone soup, and the other two pans are in the freezer. Having frozen dough in the freezer makes it easy to take some rolls out in the morning, cover them with a damp towel, and let them rise all day for dinner that night. It's been a long time since I've made rolls, so the kids and Wes scarfed them right up. There was ONE roll left in the basket, which Andrew and Beth were eyeing. I had only had one, so I told them it was mine. They were disappointed, but didn't complain, so after I was finished with my soup, I divided the last roll and gave them each a half. Now, I don't think my children are deprived, but anyone who didn't know better would have thought that I never give my children anything to eat! Oh, well . . . I'm glad they like my rolls!

Here's the recipe for the soup I made for dinner yesterday and we finished off tonight. We love this soup, and it's very easy to throw in the crockpot and let it simmer all day. I've made a couple of changes to the recipe, and I'll note those in bold type. I change recipes quite often to suit someone's picky tastes (my MIL has apologized for letting someone be picky when he was growing up!)

Potato Minestrone Soup

2 cans (14.5 oz. each) chicken broth - I use chicken bouillon granules to equal this amount
1 can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes
1 can (16 oz.) kidney beans, rinsed and drained - I use white kidney beans
1 can (15 oz.) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 can (14.5 oz) beef broth - beef buillon granules to equal
2 cups frozen cubed hash brown potatoes, thawed - I use 3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced in small cubes - much better flavor than the frozen hash browns
1 tablespoon dried minced onion
1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon garlic owder
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
1 package (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained - I've used spinach, and I've done it without - we like it either way
2 cups frozen peas and carrots, thawed - I've never used these

I add 1 1/2 pounds of ground beef, browned, to make this soup more hearty.

In a slow cooker, combine the first 13 ingredients and the ground beef. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours. Stir in the spinach, peas and carrots; heat through. Yield: 12 servings (about 3 quarts). Our family of 5 can eat two complete meals off of this with the ground beef added.

3 comments:

  1. Susan those rolls sound yummy, can you post the recipe when you have time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Carolyn. :) I would love to have the recipe for the rolls. The soup sounds very good! However, I have a semi-picky eater to cook for too, and this picky eather doesn't like beans. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We need a good roll recipe too!!! Homemade bread is not one of our gifts. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin