Sunday, July 24, 2005

A Refreshing Week - Hopefully!

Our family is going to camp together this week! We're attending Camp Yes! with Greater Vancouver Baptist Church, on Roberts Point just over the border in the US. The kids are going as campers (the boys worked there last week as junior counselors) and Wes and I will be working. I'll be in the kitchen, which means my schedule is pretty much set in stone: fix breakfast, clean up; fix lunch, clean up; fix supper, clean up! There are several other ladies working the kitchen also, and I expect we'll get to know each other very well. I say we'll have a refreshing week because it will be a week away from home, for one thing, and I'll get to attend the evening preaching services. From times that I've been to camp before, I know that many of the sermons for the teens will be used by the Lord to speak to my heart.

Many people look warily at teen camp. I suppose that's because so many churches now think that you have to use the world's methods, the world's music, and hold the world's standards for dress and relationships in order to win today's youth to the Lord. We happen to believe that the Lord still draws young people through His Word, just as He always has. Camp Yes! has strong standards for dress - modest dress for all campers and staff - and music - no rock or CCM, only Christ-honoring, conservative music - and daily preaching from God's Word. There are plenty of team activities, as well as lots of good food, fellowship, and laughter. Pastor Conner was telling us today that 14 junior age kids accepted Christ as Saviour last week, and in the past 20 years, there have been approximately 400 people saved as a result of coming to Camp Yes! We're looking for great things from the Lord this week for our children, and refreshment from the Lord for us as parents and workers.

Needless to say, I'll be taking a break from writing this week!

2 comments:

  1. lizacorr5:37 AM

    Susan,

    Have fun at camp this week! I will be praying for those kids, and for you and Wes as you do your work. Can't wait to hear about it all when you get back.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin