Friday, July 01, 2005

My first blog entry - and my first Canada Day

This is my very first blog entry. I've debated for quite a while now whether or not to have a blog. It seems to be a popular thing; I sure enjoy reading blogs, especially of ladies who have the same - or close to the same - philosophy of life that I do. I like to see what's new, who has some good advice, how other women are ordering their homes, how other people homeschool. I'm not so sure of myself to think that I will have anything new to add. I mainly want to make a record of what we're doing, and share that with others who might be interested. Just a diary, with a few added bells and whistles, to record a little piece of our everyday life, our milestones, maybe a rant here or there, definitely a few praises for what God is doing in our lives and church, and maybe somewhere along the way I'll say something that will encourage another woman to keep on serving God and her family.

Today is our first Canada Day. We moved here from Texas in August of last year, where we'd lived for 14 years. Wes (my dh) and I are from the Carolinas (he's from North, I'm from South), and we ended up in Texas courtesy of 10 years with Uncle Sam's Air Force. Wes likes to say God planted us in Texas to show He has a sense of humor! I do have to admit, for a gal from the upstate of SC and the foothills of the Blue Ridge, Texas was quite a change. Flat. HOT. Brown. Did I mention HOT? But we learned to love our church family just as much as our real family, and with Wes and the kids there, it was home. Not that I never miss the Blue Ridge . . .

Anyway, we moved here last August to work in a church in Vancouver, and in February of this year began Lions Gate Baptist Church in our little part of the Lower Mainland, North Vancouver. We're averaging around 20 people per week so far, which is about triple what Wes expected (we have 5 in our family). And today we're having a church picnic to celebrate Canada Day. I've learned to plan for sunshine but expect rain, and today it looks like my expectations are fulfilled. There's a good chance of rain this afternoon. So . . . we'll do what we can while we can. If we have to come back to the house, so be it.

I'm learning that overall, Canadians don't take their Independence Day as seriously as Americans do theirs. Seems that today is just a day off from work for most. We have new neighbors moving in today; stores are open; people are working; there are no fireworks in Vancouver. North Vancouver had a parade, and there are lots of "family friendly" events going on around Vancouver, but it lacks . . . oomph. I don't sense the excitement. And my American brain is having a hard time processing this!

So . . . Happy Canada Day . . . for what it's worth!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous6:50 AM

    i REALLY ENJOYED IT ! SUSAN I SAW THE WHOLE THING IN MY HEAD AND i REMEMBERED MY FIRST 4TH OF JULY IN MONTANA DRINKING HOT CHOC. AND FREZZING IT WAS ABOUT 30 DEEG. AND WATCHING FIRE WORKS . THINKING THIS REALLY NOT NORM. PRAYING FOR THE WORK THERE AND YOU ALL . SHERI

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin