Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Health Issues

If you know me personally, you know that I have type 2 diabetes. I was diagnosed almost 6 years ago. I have to admit that taking care of myself consistently is the hardest thing I've ever had to do. I know that I need to. My mother had type 1 diabetes and died at age 37 from kidney failure, one of the complications of diabetes. So I know what this disease can do. It's such an odd thing to know what you need to do and why, yet resist doing that very thing.

Within the past 4-5 months, I have begun taking much better care of myself out of necessity. We misunderstood the procedure for getting into the BC health care system when we moved here from the US, and ended up not being covered for the first 6 months we lived here. No doctor=no medicine. So I winged it. I began watching what I ate, carefully limiting carbs. I began walking every day to get exercise, and added strength training with dumbbells 3 days a week. I started drinking the recommended amount of water. I lost about 8 pounds, slowly but surely. And it paid off . . .

I had a physical 2 weeks ago, and my doctor was pleasantly surprised with my blood work. I think he expected high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and high blood sugar. My blood work showed cholesterol levels within normal range, except for the HDL (good) cholesterol, which I need to raise. He recommends exercise and flax seed oil. My fasting blood glucose was a shade higher than the recommended level, but he said to continue watching my carb intake, and that will come down. Blood pressure is normal, as are kidney and liver function. So for a diabetic, I'm pretty healthy.

All this to say we can take care of ourselves if we put our minds to it. It's so easy to let go, saying, "I'll start tomorrow," but too many tomorrows could easily add up to no tomorrows. I'm not a health freak; I don't avoid all sweets or walk every single day. I don't grind my own wheat, and I do eat meat of all kinds. I'm not on Atkins or South Beach. I simply try to be balanced in what I do or don't eat and get reasonable amounts of exercise, and it's helped to the point that a doctor is surprised that I'm doing so well without medication to fix all the symptoms. I'm not even against medication - if I couldn't control my condition without it, I would take it. For me, it's a matter of taking care of myself as best I can with what I have. So I eat more fruits and vegetables, consciously stay active, and drink plenty of water. And so far, the Lord is blessing through that. It's all By(God's)Grace!

1 comment:

  1. Great blog I hope we can work to build a better health care system. Health insurance is a major aspect to many.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin